Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Achieving my dream and more....

When I first became a wrestling fan in the mid-1980s, I started dreaming of becoming a wrestler myself. Living in Norway, a country where wrestling was only seen on TV, my dream was not easy to reach, especially in a time when the internet was non-existent and information about wrestling schools hard to find.

I sent letters to schools and promotions both in the USA and Europe in the early 1990s, but replies were far between. Being a teenager living in Norway, I guess I wasn't taken too seriously by the wrestling schools.

So what could I do? Not much. In 1995, I moved to England for my studies, I had already planned to get in touch with a wrestling school over there but it was on the other side of the country. I lived in Leeds and didn't know about any wrestling schools there or elsewhere in the north of England. Luck is still a good thing. "The Little Prince" Alam was the owner of a gym I checked out. He was a former professional wrestler and agreed to give me some training.

In early 1996, I got in touch with All-Star Promotions, Europe's biggest (whatever other people say) promotion, and I was lucky enough to be given a chance in a royal rumble.

Since then I have wrestled against many of Europe's top wrestlers, worked for promotions in nearly a dozen different countries, performed in front of thousands of people, trained some good talents, started a wrestling promotion, promoted shows, won championships, and more.

Sweat, tears and blood, hard work, sacrifices, little reward, pain and injuries, criticicm, verbal attacks..... Is it worth it? It must be. Otherwise, why am I still wrestling?

My blog will deal with the past, present and future, and I am sure there will be some interesting stuff to read here as time goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home